Thursday, May 8, 2008

Tiguan review

Well, it's finally come. As you may or may not know, I'm a Volkswagen tech. As such I've been anticipating the release of the Tiguan to the dealership. Today it happened, we got 2 versions of the new Tiguan. For those of you who are not familiar with the vehicle, it is a smaller, more affordable version of the Toureag. It fits more into the category of sport activity vehicle, with competitors such as the Honda CR-V, Acura RDX, Mazda CX7.



-Specs

The Tiguan is powered by a 2.0L Turbo engine producing 200hp. Coupled with either a 6 speed automatic or 6 speed manual gearbox. As well as your choice of 4 motion or front wheel drive. Push button emergency brake, and auto hold feature which keeps the car stationary without brake input from driver. A 2.0L turbo diesel should be available soon. Sticker price as from what I've seen seems to vary from $25,000 for front wheel driver model to 30k+ for 4 motion with nav.



-First Impressions

To me the Tiguan seems to be yet another over priced vehicle. Looks a little more like a mini van in the rear than it's bigger brother the Toureag. However, I find the front end to sport a very aggressive look which I really liked. Sports the same power train as a standard passat. Interior is basically what you expect from the new model vw's, you either love it or you could live without it. Storage space seems to be lacking.



- Personal thoughts

Some people loved it, some didn't . I wasn't too thrilled with it, but maybe it will grow on me. Personally, it's a passat on steroids, I'd rather opt for it's bigger brother. But go test drive it, maybe it's the car for you!!






No comments: